On October 17, 2018 recreational cannabis became legal in Canada.
In Ontario, individuals must be 19 years of age and older to buy, use, possess and grow recreational cannabis. This is the same as the minimum age for the sale of tobacco and alcohol in Ontario.
York University is committed to the success of its students, faculty and staff, and will continue to assess the evolving situation and adjust its policies to reflect legislative changes. The University uses and complies with the provincial smoking legislation and regulations and will continue to do so.
York University is focused on maintaining a safe, secure and healthy environment that puts people first, is supportive of the whole person, and enhances the development of physical, mental and spiritual well-being.
About Cannabis and What You Should Know
Potential Effects of Cannabis Use:
- Physical Effects
- Red eyes
- Dry mouth and throat
- Irritated respiratory system
- Increased appetite and heart rate
- Decreased blood pressure, balance and stability
- Possible drowsiness or restlessness
- Cognitive Effects
- Impairs depth perception, attention span and concentration
- Slows reaction time
- Affects thinking and problem solving
- Interferes with learning and work performance
- Impacts short-term memory
- Affects mood and feelings potentially resulting in anxiety and/or panic
- Potential Long-Term Health Effects
- Risk to lung health - bronchitis, lung infections, chronic cough, increase mucus in chest, emphysema
- Heart palpitations and increased risk of heart attack
- Lung, upper respiratory or upper digestive tract cancer
- Physical dependence and/or addiction
- Mental health issues such as anxiety, depression, psychosis and schizophrenia
- Harm to memory, concentration, intelligence (IQ), and ability to think and make decisions
Now that cannabis is legal in Ontario (and Canada) for persons 19 years or older, I have a legal right to use and possess cannabis anywhere I want, including on campus?
Does York University’s position on smoking cannabis apply to faculty, staff, guests, and visitors to campus for special events?
The only way to purchase medical cannabis is from:
- a federally licensed producer online
- by written order
- over the phone and delivered by secure mail